Saturday, November 3, 2007

On the road again...



Nashville to Knoxville update... Three days on the road and feeling fine (except my knees).




Day one: Nov. 1st - Day after Halloween. Need I say more? The Yazoo Crew came out in force and costume and rocked the East Side. 3 Crow was going off with Power Load rocking the AC/DC covers, cute girls in costume everywhere, and the Makers was flowing. I gave no mind to the fact that I had a 300+ mile journey that was to begin the following morning. I woke up late, had a ton of stuff to wrap up and didn't make it out of the house until 1:00. Mark D. at Eastside Cycles says "it's going to be cold up on the ridge and in the Mountains" and that I should probably get a space blanket since I was only taking a thermarest, rain fly and a 40 degree sleeping bag. So it is off to C.T. before I even make it out of town.
The clock at C.T. reads 1:30 and I am still hungover and making my way to Lebanon Rd. to get out of town. The next hour and half is a death march out of town with a million cars flying by me all the while I wonder what the hell I was thinking and which car is going to be the one that takes me out. I finally make it to past Mt. Juliet and traffic lightens up and the country road begins. Not that it helps too much as the trucks just get bigger, more obnoxious and drive faster. Miles turn into hours and hours into miles. I set my sites on a wildlife area 10 miles east of Cartage put my head down and turn the pedals. The sun goes down and I am still 30 miles or so from my destination. Dinner in Carthage and it's back on the bike. This is where the hills begin by the way and it takes me two hours in the dark with temps dropping before I finally throw in the towel in my search for the wildlife area and I sleep on the side of the road by a lake where there was a small natural buffer. 1:30 - 10:15 with 70 miles under my belt, not a bad day on the bike. It is now freezing and I realize the trip to C.T. was worth it. I crawl into the space blanket with my sleep bag and freeze the night away.



Day 2 - Nov. 2nd - Frost on everything as I grudgingly get out the sleeping bag. It's 10 before I hit the road. Biscuits at the closest store around and back up the hill the where I left highway 70 the night before. Lot's of hills kick up as I head towards Cookeville. A good pasta lunch and it's off to climb the Plateau. Ouch! My knees hurt... Back roads in this area are not the best idea I have learned. The roads have some sick grades but offer the best views and fewer cars so I guess that's the trade off. The miles slow down as I pedal up the ridge and I make it to Clarkrange by night fall. A killer pizza at Dino's in Clarkrange give me a fifth wind and I push on for another 15 miles to crash on the side of a gravel road that looked remote enough to not wake up to an angry farmer or half drunk hunter. Another long day and it is a few nips of Makers Mark and call it a night. Rode from 10:00 a.m. till 9:30 p.m. 80+ miles and two sore knees.




Day 3 - Nov. 3rd - Another very cold night and I wake up to a very heavy frost on my cap and sleeping bag. Didn't sleep very well due to the cold but the sun is up and Knoxville is still a ways to go so I get up and start the day with the ritual coffee and oatmeal and it is back on the pedals. Coming out of Clarkrange I think I will hit Wartburg for breakfast. Let me tell you there are some serious climbs heading up towards Wartburg. My knees do not like me anymore! I tell them to go and they say F*#K OFF. I have no other option so I push on just at slower pace. The shoulder of the road on interstate 62 disappears and I feel like my life is more at risk with every turn of the pedals. Mile after mile of trucks doing 80 on a road made for 40 mph. All's well that ends well. Thomas Gaines gets the call that I am few miles outside of Oak Ridge and comments that there is no good way into town and he suggest that I get a ride into K-town. After battling cars for the last few hours I decide not cheat death any longer and take him up on his offer. A six pack at the store and a dash into the woods to wait for T and the day is done. Plenty more riding ahead and my knees need a few hours rest.


Things I have learned thus far.


1. One should probably train for a ride like this.

2. Pack some warm stuff when bike touring in November.

3. Night touring might be safer due to the lack of cars on the road in remote areas.

4. Tennessee is a beautiful State and needs more bike friendly roads so more people can enjoy it.
To all the crew back home, I'm thinking about you all and you are the tail wind that pushes me forward. Wish my knees well...
Peace.
Jut

No comments: