Sunday, November 4, 2007

Bikes, Beer, and Blindfolded Fire Jumping...



The adventure continues. Knoxville must have known I was coming because a few hours into my arrival I am drinking with my old dear friend Nick Gotten, Thomas, and Sean at The Hall Ridge Trails in K-town. Now this place takes me back, to simpler times. Cantilever brakes, steel bikes, ridged forks, and a Richy z-max 2.35 kevlar bead tire that was all the suspension I needed. The year was 1992 and I was in school at UT with my Kona Lava dome which was my high school graduation present. I wore out those trails back in the day, even made my roommate Matt R. puke on the hill of truth. It was good times... Well, here I am again. Making people puke.







This weekend Knoxville became Knoxvegas and celebrate the Annual Brew Ride. How perfect I race for a brewery? Now these Knoxville boys have raised the bar. We have been doing the urban thing more than a few times but getting on the trails is where it's at for a Mtn. Biker like myself. So, just let me say that there will be a brew ride in the near future for a trail in Nashville in the near future when I return. Get those lights charging boys.

Ok, imagine an alleycat race, stupid human tricks, tons of beer, and a ring of fire jump. While I will keep what happened at other checkpoints a secret, I will tell you our checkpoint rocked. Sean, Nick, John and I found a site for the blindfolded bike ride. Yes, blindfolded bike ride. We had each team of two riders shotgun a beer each and climb a rocky section of trail for about 30 or 40 yards blindfolded only to be assisted by their teammates vocal instruction. We hung out in the woods for a good three hours putting back beers and hanging around the fire, which could be jumped for bonus points of course. The night was awesome and after we made it back from our checkpoint a fire was raging and I got to catch up with old friends and make some new ones. Not a bad night for a stop over in Knoxville. Now it's off to pack the panniers and hit the road again. Hope to make it to Dandridge tonight and Hot Springs, N.C. tomorrow night.


Word. Jut Rut


Above is our K-town Crew member Thomas G. about to embark on his half ass blindfolded ride. Remember T, cheaters never win but winner's sometimes cheat. Better luck next year. Jut

No comments: