Friday, November 23, 2007

New City + New Trails = New Bike




Well, I know what you are all thinking and yes, I suck. Not really, but it does seem that I am living the life. I admit I am probably having more fun and living larger than that average 33 year old kid. But I guess thats what happens when you're Jut Rut and expect nothing but the best out of life. I don't like to settle for anything and yes it is selfish but it's how it has to be when you realize that life is short and it could all change tomorrow. So why not go for it? Most people hold themselves back from living fully but they place blame on outside circumstances each day. It's really quite simple and there are a thousand ways of saying it but the old saying, you believe you can or you believe you can't, either way your right. Well I guess I been thinking about some cool stuff and about living the life of a college kid cause I feel like I am 22 again only with more bikes and a few more skills under the belt. So look out world or maybe just the southeast because Jut is about to bring it.






New bike equals new skills... It was bound to happen one day. Gears and suspenion? I know the crew was shocked (no pun intended) to see that Jut has added a full sus bike to the fleet. I never really gave it any thought while kicking around in middle TN. There is not enough technical trial here to warrent spending that kind of money or that amount of energy pushing some heavy rig around the local mountain bike loops. I have always enjoyed picking clean lines and feeling the direct connection to the trail that a hardtail provides. As far as gears go there was not a really good reason for those around these parts either. There are no real climbs on any of the local trails, I hate chain slap / skipping gears, maintainence on a singlespeed is about all I can stand, (tighten chain/lube chain and go) and to boot it makes you a better and stronger rider. However, where I am heading there are Mountains, rocks, and roots that makes Hamelton Creek feel like a ride through the park. So, it was finally time to add a full sus and M.O.A.B. Mark made it happen by putting me behind the handlebar of a new Santa Cruz Blur LT (long travel) with 5 inches of travel in the front and rear for your downhill pleasure. M.O.A.B. is a great shop and has the coolest boys in town ready to help you build whatever you need. If you're in the area and need a bike you need to call them first. And when you pick up your new ride take a six pack and hang out a bit, those boys are usually thirsy. So a big thanks goes out to M.O.A.B.


Picked up the bike on Friday and rode around downtown Nashvegas that night to get a feel for it before loading up and heading to Swanee on Saturday morning with Greg D, Elliott, Thad, Mike and Greg II. Right of the trail we hit a rocky decent and I noticed that after carefully picking lines for years I could gear up and hammer down stuff with no worries of the "hidden baby head" covered in leaves. The ride was tough due to the suspension not being dialed in and the gears were slipping on me, which was one reason I gave up gears in the first place. The decents were great and I can see how I am going to enjoy the bike even if the first ride feel alkward and at times frustrating. I have some single speed habits that are going to take some time to break. It really is like learning to ride a bike off road all over again. However, once I get the hang of it I can forsee new lines and faster speeds with less concern about making the gap or getting sent over the bars. The ride was beautiful to boot with the leaves in full color and veiws from the ridge openning up. Post ride beers and food at shenagans made it a 5 star day and it was back on the road to Nashville.


Monday afternoon Greg D and I took her to Hamelton Creek. Lots of nice new trail awaited the new bike and once again the new bike handled the rocks like a champ and new lines were found and enjoyed with less thought put into picking lines and more thought put into catching air. I think this is going to be just what I needed to make the Asheville Experience even more enjoyable. See you boys on the trail...


Jut

No comments: