Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Crew brings it to Asheville...



Making it to Asheville by bike was half the challenge of my Nashville to Asheville adventure. During my week in Asheville I took a Green Rehab class that dealt with going green when remodeling homes and using the ecofriendly materials. This class has inspired me to chart a new direction in my business and combine what I studied in College (Environmental Studies) and the career I have developed over the last eight years. Making a difference vs making profits is not an "either/or"and the way I see it you should do both. I mean we all have to eat, pay bills and of course buy new bike parts when they wear out, so why not make a living helping others live better themselves and treat the planet with a little more respect at the same time. Seems like a no brainer to me... The class was everything I hoped it would be and I look forward to lots more workshops when I get to Asheville. The town puts Nashville to shame in its pursuit to Go Green and the mentality of the average Asheville citizen is certainly more progressive so here I come to embrace my hippy love child upbringing and pick up where I left off in college with my pursuit to leave the world a better place then I found it.

It certainly does not hurt that Asheville also has a great music scene and I caught live music each night I was there. From the free Bluegrass jams, hip hop from the Life Savers out of Portland, an old favorite Galactic, and Nashville Pussy, Hank III and The Rev. Horton Heat, I saw some good shows and drank lots of great beer while I was there. My roommate and best friend since 5th grade, Ty, is the one in black rocking the Madelin. He is in a bluegrass band called High Windy and is one of the best people you will ever meet and his band rocks. They are wrapping up their album in the studio right now so keep an eye out for these guys coming to your town they are amazing. I look forward to learning a few new things on the guitar living around music so helpfully I will be able to jam with these guys after spending some time in the Mountains. Speaking of living in the Mountains...








The word is now out that I am moving so I thought I would entice all my crew with a few pictures of the Asheville headquarters for the Yazoo Crew and Associates. The "Crow's Nest" as it was named in 1905 is a three story stone cottage that is tucked into the trees just 5 Minutes for downtown Asheville by bike. It is a stout climb but only a few miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway that is hit by taking a few back roads directly behind my house. For the crew we have a whole downstairs room equipped with a bar and a places to crash when the boys and girls come to town. This place is heaven on earth and has the feeling of a cabin in the woods with the conveniences of the city and an incredible natural food store, Greenlife, located about 6 blocks from my house. Bring it on boys and girls, your welcome anytime...




The last day of the Asheville trip was Swank 65 Mountain Bike Race. This race takes you on a 42 mile journey through the hardest trails in Pisgah National Forest. For those who have never ridden Pisgah, you don't know what you are missing and if you think doing two laps at Lock 4 is a Mountain Bike race you have it all wrong. Riding in Pisgah is what Mountain Biking is all about. It's rugged, steep, rocky, rooty, and there are literally hundreds of miles of riding for your Mountain Bike pleasure. This is not a place for beginners or girlfriends who don't really ride. Seriously, don't take your girl here unless she can kick some ass on a bike or your girlfriend will be gone. I stayed in Asheville the night before the race and partied with Ty and the boys, a number of old familiar faces came over and for a while it looked like an old Ktown party with several people showing up that I had not seen since leaving college in 98. We kicked it until 1:30 a.m. and feel asleep on the floor as usual and woke up a few hours later to take part in one of the hardest races of the year. Fred hooks me up with a ride and we get to the start with just enough time to throw on my gear and line up at the back of a hundred riders ready to take on the challenge. The rest of the crew, Ivory, Jamie, Thad, Mike N, had spent the night in Pisgah and when Fred and I pulled up they were just starting to thaw out after a cold night representing in the mountains with a bottle of Makers around the fire. Ivory officially won the party and was the last person to see the fire before calling it a night. After a late night and 400 miles of riding a bike that weighed half as much as me to Asheville I was thinking "just finish the race" but 45 minutes into the race my legs felt great and my attitude changed. Jamie (racer boy had lined up front so I figured he was going for the win. I figured I would try to find him and I caught up with Jamie on the trail, adjusted my headset and was off never to see him again. For the next 4 hours I rode with the best legs I have ever had in a bike race and passed a good 50 people or so to come in 3rd in single speed and 20th overall. Good ending to a great week or two on the road.




Life is about to take on a new fresh direction. Much like a bike ride to Asheville the predictable days are over for the time being and it's time to live each day with out knowing what is going to happen tomorrow. This trip taught me that when you don't know what is going to happen, it allows for incredible and almost magical things to happen. I have been experiencing that when you tell the universe what you want it has a way of making it happen. I look forward to the ride of life ahead filled with some amazing experiences.















No comments: