Sunday, December 23, 2007

Winter has come again...


Guess it's that time of year again. The time of year where I must override my bodies natural response to the weather and amount of daylight that makes me want to sit inside and drift into a long slumber. I don't do very well in the winter, I need the sun to make this thing go and to make matters worse, I am moving in a few days and the "to do" list just keeps getting longer. Throw in Christmas and seeing friends and family and wrapping up an eight year real estate career and all I want to do is crawl up in the fetal position with a bottle of Makers Mark and wake up in Asheville in the Spring. Well, that's not going to happen with out some divine intervention so today the plan is to ride for a few hours to sweat out the stress and come home and start packing boxes.


Christmas has not even registered, ever since my days of retail I have had a hard time getting into it. Mainly I just look forward to seeing friends and family that come to town that I have not seen in a while. Christmas these days seems to be more for the kids and since I don't have any, it is easy to not think about it in a "let's go shopping mindset". I have not been to the mall in over a year and hopefully will not have to go to a mall for another year having avoided the holiday buying pressure. The year ahead is going to be an experiment for ole' jut rut. I am looking forward to a year of self sufficiency and less consumption. We have so much in this country to be thankful for and yet somehow many of us (including myself) can easily take for granted what we have and want more to feel satisfied. Only to find that we still do not feel satisfied once we have obtained that next thing we think we had to have to feel good about ourselves. I am guilty of the above myself, three years of a booming business and I have more stuff I don't need and that I have to store, sell or pack up and move. Other than some clothes, my music collection and bikes which offer stress relief, transportation, mental and physical health benefits I don't really need much else. So, it's off to Asheville to live with the hippies and live a little more like a hippy myself. Never really thought I would go big in business, working smarter not harder mentality sometimes leads to more business than you need. Then before you know it your "smarter" approach is a success and your wind up working "harder" just to keep up with it. It's all a learning experience and one that I will learn lessons from but none the less I paid my dues and now I am cashing in the chips and going to learn a few new life lessons. I really think 08' is going to be a great year. So enough about life, (isn't this a bike blog?) I am going to ride a bike and you should too. Peace and good will to all, remember what this time of year is about and enjoy just being with those you love.


Happy Holidaze...


Jut Rut

No comments: