Thursday, October 11, 2007



Life is keeping me on my toes these days. It seems that with each day I have a new situation to deal with. Unlike the past few years where each new day meant dealing with surprises that came via an overwhelming work load. This year it seems that surprises are more the emotional (real life) variety. Relationships, career choices, and lifestyle suddenly all seem to be in question. I can remember when it was all so easy and so clear. Those days seem to gone for the moment and I am feel like I am swimming in surf unable to get out past the pounding waves that just keep coming. If you have ever been surfing in powerful waves you get the picture. At times I am tempted to just turn around and go back to the safety of the shore and other times I want to make it out to the calm water past the breakers and catch a new wave and see where it takes me. I don't mean to bring anyone down as this is a bike blog and not some blog where I sit in front of my computer and pour out my feelings for the world to see. But riding bikes and my life have a lot to do with each other and as I have learned more about myself I realize they are two things that are almost inseparable. If you really have a passion for riding like me and rest of the Yazoo Crew you realize that the choices you make in life have a lot to do your passion. As you will read below I have had two recent losses that emphasize that fact that my life and riding bikes are intertwined.

The hardest test of late has certainly been the loss of my three year old wonder pup Indie. This dog was as cool as they come and from the moment I saw him I knew he was going to be an incredible four legged riding buddy. Indie lived for the days that I would come home, start packing up the bike gear and give him the look to let him know he was going to hit the trail with me. On the trail he was light and agile constantly picking unconventional lines over fallen trees or through thick brush so he could take the lead. Riding with the boys Indie would sometimes hang back and other times lead the group ride. Playing in the water, running wide open at the disc golf course, or just laying beside me Indie always had a look on his face that let you know he was happy and full of life. He was smart and well behaved but unaware of the rules of the street and it was a car that lead to his early exit from this world. Indie brought me great joy and with his loss comes great sadness. In his passing I have once again been reminded that every time I hit the road on a bike that I need to be very aware and that when it comes to encounters with cars the car always wins. Be safe out there boys... Indie would want it that way.

The latest break up involved my favorite bike. Though it almost feels silly to talk about after contemplating the loss of a beloved friend but as any real bike enthusiast knows, you get attached to these welded tubes of steel. When the bike feels like an extension of yourself it is all the harder to let go. The Sycip has been from one end of the country to the other. It has seen some of the best trails in the US and never asked for much except a little lube. It has always come back wanting more than I was able to give it. Well, that was until I pulled up to meet Thad for a ride on Saturday at The Hameltoe. Ironically Thad was commenting on how cool the bike design was and even went on to say that a Sycip might be in his future. As I am responding with the comment that it has been my favorite mtn bike ever and that I love everything about it I throw a leg over it only to hear a weird sound like something was loose. Headset? no. Rear wheel? yes. A quick tighten of the rear wheel things are good right? no. Still feeling loose and I still hear a strange sound. A closer inspection revels what I never wanted to see a broken tube. The good news is that the boys over at Sycip are on it. A call to Nor Cal on Monday morning and the bikes in the mail with a promise that I will be reunited with my newly painted ride asap and in plenty of time for the next big adventure (aka Swank 65). Looks like the cross check is going to get one more chance to prove itself at the Race to the Canal in Ky next weekend. I just wish Indie could make the trip...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

jeez.....did it happen in a crash or just over time?

how long have you had the bike for?

which model is it?